STOCKS: Solution for lab stocks management
You can start using STOCKS immediately using your EMBL credentials.
=> Contact us if you need new stock types (fly lines, primers ...) or want to customize existing ones (add new fields, new vocabulary in select options)
STOCKS is a global web data management solution combining:
- an Electronic Lab Noteboob (ELN) to record your daily notes
- a Lab Collections Module to easily manage and share your lab collections.
- An associated Order Module to track when stocks were ordered (note that the order module is not meant as a replacement for SAP!)
- a Protocol Module to readily share and version the protocols used daily in your group
- a Sample Module to track all your samples, their parent-child relationships and their links to your lab notes and assays
- soon a NGS raw and derived data Management Module keeping track of all your fastq and derived datasets, their relationships with Sequencing Assay and Samples and lab notes !
Our goal is to build a fundamental research data management platform at lab or institution level that developers can use, customize, extend and tailor to the needs of their users. We aim at providing tools that will favor both bench scientists and computer scientists to use the same platform to track data, meta-data and results from the bench to publications.
The next step will be the addition of dataset and bioassay (e.g. to support sequencing or any other kind of raw data) modules. Finally, STOCKS will fully replace the good old emBASE. Our goal is to build a fundamental data management platform at lab or institution level that developers can use, customize, extend and tailor to the needs of their users.
- Free Text and Advanced search functionality available on all list pages.
- Customizable display of all tables i.e. item per page, columns to show, column order... Different display options can be saved for each STOCKS type.
- Controlled vocabulary whenever applicable. Tell us if you are missing a term in a drop-down.
- Exact stock locations can be provided for all STOCKS items in lab collections & samples
- Attach documents and leave notes on every STOCKS item
- Rich permission system lets you decide who can see & edit your entries
Lab Collections Management & Customization
- Management for following lab collection types:
- Consumables: items that you buy and use in your experiments (ELN)
- Specimen: your living stock i.e. from which you derive samples
- Equipment: devices, instruments and storage equipment (e.g. freezers)
- New consumable, specimen or equipment sub-types can be easily added, with all desired custom fields. Simply get in touch with us.
- The Order module lets you:
- track when stocks have been ordered e.g. “How frequently and where does my stock was ordered in the past?"
- store the prices, ordered quantities and ordered item recipients
- store the SAP shopping cart ID * notify users per email upon receiving of their order(s) by a single click
Protocol Module Details
- Define protocols as Word-like formatted text including pictures and tables
- Maintain parent-child relationship between versioned protocols
- Classify protocols into protocol types
- Share with your group or everyone
Sample Module Details
- Keep track of your valuable samples and their location
- Derive samples from your Specimen collections to inherit specimen properties (annotations)
- Full support of complex sample lineage: parent-clid relationships, including merge & split
- Link to the protocols used to produce the samples, even without using the ELN module
- Define how samples are consumed by e.g. sequencing assays
- Record your daily Experiments as Word-like formatted text including pictures and tables
- Use Protocol as template to create new experiments, then only edits the changes or fill in empty values !
- Attach important documents to your experiments
- Define links to used/produced samples & key lab collections
- Export your experiment as a PDF or a complete archive
- Freeze & digitally timestamp your experiments to later proove when the work was done (IP)